Student Health Insurance

Tuesday, 22 September 2009

EU students

As a citizen of one of the 28 EU member-state, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Switzerland, your country's health insurance will be valid in France. You will just need to have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued prior to coming to France. 

More information here

Note that not all medical costs may be covered by your insurance, depending on your country's policy. If you wish, you may subscribe to a complementary private health insurance. We will be happy to provide you with a list of health insurance providers.

Non-EU students

All other students, regardless of their nationality, may benefit from the French public health insurance (Sécurité Sociale). Different conditions apply depending on whether you are under or over 28 years old.

Non-EU students under 28

If you are under 28 years old and do not already have social security coverage, you are required to take out the French student medical insurance (Sécurité Sociale étudiante). This entitles you to a reimbursement of up to 70 % of the standard price of medical expenses incurred (or 100% in some exceptional cases such as some chronic diseases or injuries from an accident caused by another person).

Coverage is for one year from October 1 to September 30, regardless of when the student enrolls, and can be renewed. The rate is around 215 Euros (this is indicated for reference only and may vary slightly every year).

The subscription and payment are made through AGS: the school administration collects the necessary information (such as your date and place of birth) as well as your payment, and sends it to the French social security services. Note that AGS cannot be held responsible for any delays incurred by the French state. 

In addition, you may also subscribe to a top-up (complementary) private health insurance policy in order to ensure optimal reimbursement of healthcare expenses. These policies may cover up to 100% of the difference between the social security coverage and the actual medical expenses. We will be happy to provide you with a list of health insurance providers.

Non-EU students over 28

If you are over 28, you are eligible to the Couverture Maladie Universelle (CMU), a free state-provided health insurance. Unlike student-specific health insurance, subscription to the CMU is not done through the school; it has to be done by each student individually. Instructions and sign up forms can be found under this link.

Note that the subscription takes two to three months to process. Therefore, in the meantime, we recommend that you sign up for private insurance on a monthly basis, so that you can cancel your subscription once your CMU coverage is processed. The CMU coverage is valid for one year, and can be renewed.


Bookmark and Share

Contact Us

For any questions,
please email us at
or use the form below.
We will respond within
the next 2 working days.


Brad Svenningson USA
M.A., School of International Relations
Class of 2005

If you take advantage of AGS, you can go very far. I am very happy with my decision to go to AGS and soak up Paris as much as two years will allow.

©American Graduate School In Paris 2018 - All Rights Reserved. Etablissement Privé d'Enseignement Supérieur
Web Design by THAT Agency